WORLD BOOK DAY – Thursday 4th March 2021
With the ‘L’ word still being on everyone’s lips, and boredom setting in from staring at the same four walls, what better time to embrace reading and enthuse yourself with fiction or non-fiction. Here at SWRA we have a variety of activities to give you a little helping hand. World Book Day 2021 will see a plethora of exciting activities and events that will be sure to increase, or even start, a love for reading. From Monday 1st March – Friday 5th March we will be holding several opportunities for you to participate in World Book Day 2021. Further details of these activities can be found in this letter, but keep your eyes peeled on our social media page for further announcements throughout the week.
Mrs Costello’s book review competition
Mrs Costello has tasked students over the half term break with writing a book review. 4 winners will be selected on World Book Day, and each winner will receive a £5 Amazon voucher.
Still grab your £1 book token
This year, World Book Day are providing a digital book token that can be printed or shown in store using your phone.
booktoken_SecondaryUK.pdf – worldbookday.com
• The £1 book token can be exchanged for one of the exclusive, new £1 books (see the full line-up at worldbookday.com/books/) OR for getting £1 off any book or audiobook costing £2.99 or more in participating bookshops and supermarkets.
• The book token is valid from Thursday 18 February – Sunday 28 March 2021. Participating booksellers will honour the tokens beyond the 28 March while stocks last. Please contact your local bookseller to check if they can offer £1 off other titles.
• The book token can ONLY be used in participating bookshops (find your nearest at booksellers.org.uk/wbd)
• The book token can be printed out and taken to your local bookseller. Booksellers such as Sainsbury’s and Asda are unable to accept the voucher on a phone or tablet screen. For all other booksellers, please check before you visit.
• The digital £1 book token cannot be redeemed online.
• The digital £1 book token is intended for SINGLE-USE ONLY.
Live Events 3rd- 5th March 2021
World Book Day will be running live events where students will have the opportunity to listen to authors such as Tom Fletcher, talk about reading and becoming a writer. The sessions begin at 10:30am each day, but if you can’t make the session, the videos will also be available to view on the World Book Day page or their YouTube page, and will remain there for you to watch back time and time again.
The sessions that are being held are detailed below:
• Wednesday 3rd March – Books that make you LOL!
• Thursday 4th March – Bringing reading to life with Tom Fletcher!
• Friday 5th March – Books and the Real World
For more details, please visit: https://www.worldbookday.com/events
World Book Day Author & Illustrator Academy Monday 1st March – Friday 5th March
Author Academy workshops will be available to access every day between Monday 1st March – Friday 5th March via our school web page. This is a great opportunity to gain top tips for writing from the authors of the £1 books this year. Each session provides you with an extract to read, a video workshop and a creative activity. If you would like to submit any of your responses, Mrs Bridges will be awarding prizes for the Top 5 best submissions and will publish the winning pieces of work on our school web page.
Dress up at home! Thursday 4th March (World Book Day)
As part of our World Book Day 2021 celebrations, students (and staff) are invited to still dress up at home as their favourite book characters. We would ask that costumes are sensible and age appropriate, and for parents/ guardians to take a picture and email this F.A.O Mrs Bridges to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Prizes will be awarded for the best dressed students on the day, and we also invite our Year 7 Key Worker children to get involved in the fun too. Ideas for costumes can be found here:
Wishing you all a very Happy World Book Day!